If you need a good toe up sock pattern, I highly recommend Sockmatician’s Toe-Ups. With knitters and spinners getting excited about the possibilities of long color changes, designers began to create patterns that took advantage of the color movement in these yarns. Vogue Knitting magazines are available for download onto your iPhone, Kindle and Android tablets NEEDLE KNOW-HOW Special Advertising Section The latest in needles—from straights to dpns to interchange ables and handy kits—to keep you happily knitting. Materials West also appears to be the first designer to use the term “fade” to describe the technique of segueing from one multi-colored yarn to another in a larger pattern, for his scarf pattern “Speckled Fade,” using Hedgehog Fibres Sock. , dyeing single skeins in long color transitions, reducing the number of ends a knitter had to weave in, were reaching larger markets. Mowry’s patterns are not the only popular patterns on Ravelry right now that utilize this yarn blending technique for a gradient effect. Started December, 2019, Gardens of Giverny – a wrap. The technique he describes for his color blending, knitting two-row stripes from alternating skeins of yarn, is one familiar to knitters used to trying to transition from one skein to the next in a project requiring multiple skeins of a hand-dyed yarn. She wasn’t copying anybody; she just knew the colors would work together well and by mixing them, she would have enough yarn to make the sweater. But gradient mini-skein & patterns have been around several years before “Wingspan”. ). Yarn festival favorites like, ’s Kimber Baldwin created sets of gradient yarns in mini-skeins that moved from one color to another, or in tints of a single color; other dyers like. Note that the distinction between the two types of shifting is ours – there doesn’t seem to be a consensus on terminology among dyers. A sequence of stitches in which each stitch is suspended from the next is called a wale. Started February, 2015, Stargazing MKAL Lace Shawl. This is the general path I followed. Color #1 – Starting with the toe, knit about 20 rows and start your fade. Whether you're working from a pattern or just knitting freely, use your main color to knit as many stitches and rows as needed in your desired style of stitch. Mowry took the technique and applied to a top-down raglan sweater, How I Roll by Mary Catherine Bryner (socks), Is this trend imitation or inspiration? If I can't find the answer you're looking for, I will share it with my knitting group. Taking the blending technique and applying to different garments, or with a different alternating sequence (like the Fibonacci Fade, above) seems like inspiration to us. Neon was everywhere in the yarn world, taking its cue from the world of fashion and interior design. West also appears to be the first designer to use the term “fade” to describe the technique of segueing from one multi-colored yarn to another in a larger pattern, for his scarf pattern “. Started March, 2018, Hue Shift – 1/4 done. In the last year or so, a new technique of applying color to yarn has emerged and become the hottest trend among independent yarn dyers. Tie off, weave in ends. So I am turning a Tin Can Knits pattern (Flax Light) into a fade and I would like to know what my best route would be as far as how may times I should knit color a & color b (one row color a, next row color b) before switching to knitting 2 rows of color b and one of color a and then subsequently dropping color a altogether..? Color A (the purple toe) was a bit more solid than Color B (the rusty pink). A few years ago, the indie dyers were all about neon colors, primarily in semi-solids (think Madelinetosh Edison Bulb, a colorway that has since been discontinued). Stephen West, the prolific designer and yarn store owner, started the Instagram hashtag #specklesaresohotrightnow, as he promoted his designs using speckled yarns from dyers like Garnstories, Hedgehog Fibres, and Madelinetosh. ** Elizabeth Zimmerman on “unvented” knitting techniques: Don’t overthink or overplan any of this. be patient . Julaften Mitts – One cuff of one mitt done. The first part of the yoke is knit flat to shape the neckline. Make one wider, one narrower. Seven full skeins of some of our fingering weight yarns, including Yummy 2-Ply, Woodbury, and Caroline, selected by someone here in the studio to create a lovely Find Your Fade. Carbeth Cardi – 1/2 done. My first Fade was done in fall colors. As long as you have one speckle color that remains constant across hand-dyed skeins, you can mix almost anything – pick your common speckle and then go wild. Let’s have a look at each section first. If you are using an MKG Ready-to-Knit kit, please return the bag and remaining yarn for re-use. https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/strickwear-merging-colors Extending that technique to different colorways to create gradient or fade effects is a natural progression, and it is the thing in pattern design right now. This method I use is done with one strand but you begin alternating colors when it’s time to fade. A point-to-point shawl like Find Your Fade is even more attractive because its narrower ends allow a knitter to use up partial skeins in a new and exciting way, making the purchase of that perfect uniting skein a less guilt-inducing prospect. Suppose your fade takes up 15 rows. Started December, 2017, Hitofude – not much done. By showing knitters how they can blend their souvenir skeins into a sweater or larger shawl, designers are freeing those skeins from stash and making them shine. Started December, 2019, Cedar Pullover – 1/3 done. Sample specs: Fingering Weight – Color A: 200 yds/ 50 g; Color B: 400 yds/ 100 g; Color C: 400 yds/ 100 g Mowry took the technique and applied to a top-down raglan sweater, So Faded, for adult women, and the So Faded Pint-Sized for children in April 2017. Knitting Yarn. And that brings us to a separate phenomenon that contributes to the longevity of this trend: the designers are inspired by the techniques of the independent dyers, but the patterns they create inspire some knitters to take up dyeing, continuing the cycle. I like the fading idea in the So Faded Sweater that's really big right now, and I want to fade something myself. Here, the color-changing yarn was framed by a solid, or for the daring knitter, another gradient yarn in a contrasting colorway. Started October, 2018, Farbmusik – 1/4 done. Note that a slip knot always counts as a stitch in knitting, unlike crocheting. So Faded is a top-down raglan with garter-stitch texture on the upper sleeves. Started September, 2016, Leftovers Cowl – 1/4 done. Westknits’ recent patterns take advantage of these yarns’ pops of color by incorporating stitch patterns like seed or brioche, as well as by combining yarns, held either singly or together. , for knitters who were nervous about choosing their own colors. K means to knit the most basic stitch. Thinking about knitting along on What the Fade… Shibui Knits’ free cowl pattern Gradient, accomplished it by using three strands of their lace weight silk-mohair blend Silk Cloud in four different shades, switching them out one strand at time. The project notes for this one are located here on Ravelry. With the next two fades, the yarn so easily faded that I stopped the fade sequence after Row 11. Started October, 2019, Celtic Myths – not much done. You may want to change yarns before getting to the heel. . Knitting Yarn Hand Knitting Striped Gloves How To Purl Knit Crochet Clothes Pulls Knitting Projects Knitting … That’s where these patterns are filling an unmet need in knitting pattern design (, see our post on the popularity of fingering weight yarn and the popularity of shawl patterns, if you want to examine this situation more deeply. So is it just alternating 1 row in color A, next row in color B … Again, they provide the knitter with a blank canvas to express her creativity in putting colors together in a way that makes sense for her wardrobe and her knitting fun. Another thing that you may want to figure out, which I usually don’t worry about when knitting socks, would be your row gauge and the approximate number of rows you will be knitting. Started November, 2017, Compass/Elephant Promenade – Not much done. As with the neon trend, even the big commercial yarn manufacturers added speckled yarns to their lines to take advantage of this new demand from knitters and crocheters (check out some of the colorways of Worsted Merino Superwash Hand-Dyed from Plymouth as an example). All three sections consist of triangles and rectangles as basic shapes. Not sure when I started it. By the time I got to the final fade (green to white), that was again a pretty big change in color so I went through the whole fade sequence and did much better than I had done with the first fade. CO means cast on and is the foundation for your project.This is the number of stitches you will need to complete the project. Just in June 2017, the following patterns were released: Is this trend imitation or inspiration? The final shape is achieved by blocking, but more on this later. I was looking all over the internet for a good method to fade 2 yarn colors, but could not find anything suitable. This shawl was created to be your favorite shawl pattern! The instruction “Sl 1 wyif, k5” tells you to slip a stitch with the yarn […] I suppose they are yet another “unvented” ** knitting techniques. A few years ago, the indie dyers were all about neon colors, primarily in semi-solids (think Madelinetosh Edison Bulb, a colorway that has since been discontinued). About halfway done, 14 Carat – a poncho. I am now finishing a pair of socks I started months ago. Speckled yarns, which we define as multi-colored yarns where the color shifts are very short, perhaps only a stitch or two wide, are everywhere. Any kind of sequence is possible, but it should be of a fixed length or the knitting will grow or shrink dramatically. Am I making sense?? May rip it back. . There’s a limit, however, to how many pairs of socks, or little scarf/shawlette single-skein accessories one needs to knit or crochet. Making two socks at a time meant four balls of yarn at a time while fading so I was more than happy to cut loose two of those balls as soon as I could. The sweater is knit with one strand of Spinni from Isager Yarn and one strand of silk mohair held together. To see more examples of her designs, click on the “pattern ideas” link on this yarn page. There’s still a bit of striping in the green to white fade, but overall, it looks fine and I’m happy with all of them except that first purple fade. Yarn dyers like, Miss Babs began to offer kits of yarns assembled for use in this pattern. Begin the first row (which will be on the right side of the garment) by knitting two stitches, then purling two stitches, and repeating this sequence until the final two stitches of the row, which you will knit. Rows 21-22: Color C. Rows 23-24: Color A. With knitters and spinners getting excited about the possibilities of long color changes, designers began to create patterns that took advantage of the color movement in these yarns. In fact, a glance at the colorways of the indie dyers linked here shows that neon and speckles often go hand in hand. Then, instead of knitting Row 2, BO to last st, Kf&b, BO last 2 sts. It’s a fun process. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! The one I used is described below. The short-row techniques in both of these patterns created dramatic shapes as well as bold color stories. With the next two fades, the yarn so easily faded that I stopped the fade sequence after Row 11. This was my first ever fade and, after having done that, I would have added a couple more Rows of A into B as I eased into the fade. Is making products to capitalize on a trend savvy marketing, or is it ripping off someone else’s work? Neon was everywhere in the yarn world, taking its cue from the world of fashion and interior design. Knitting notation is a simple, easily-understood, symbolic representation of a knitting repeat sequence. Started October, 2018, Persistence is Key – 1/3 done. Notations are used to express the knitted fabric structure and design. I'm a good knitter but not the greatest. Of course, all this depends on how many rows you will use to accomplish your fade, but this can be a general formula. The second Fade, one that would look nice with denim, was finished last month. I want to use the technique on a cardigan in a different pattern. Free your fade and make it your own with this super adaptable pattern!!
2020 knitting fade sequence