A smooth blended vegetable soup with blue cheese that's as good for a comforting meal as it is for a dinner party starter, from BBC Good Food. And I buy Alexs meat bologna the red packagin one from the russian store. (A mom who chases after a 1-year-old gets hungry ok?!) My mother doesn’t make it, but does remember her family eating this in the summer – made with buttermilk, lemon juice, and lots and lots of fresh dill! Masha thank you so much for your sweet compliment I’ll be sure to tell my husband his banana bread has another fan I’ll have to try it with seltzer. Russian Translation for cucumber soup - dict.cc English-Russian Dictionary Transfer to bowls, sprinkle with parsley, and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive. I cut everything up small. our family loves okroshka we add red radishes to ours if u want to u can try it out. I moved to Canada when I was 4 and was still raised with very authentic Russian cooking. Other common garnishes are croutons, chopped eggs and diced ham. Thank you so much! First, I found an interesting recipe for Okroshka on the Saveur website – Chilled Russian Vegetable Soup (www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Chilled-Russian-Vegetable-Soup) – but it uses kvas, which I had heard of but never seen in the many Polish stores in this city. We’ve always gobbled it up so quickly that we didn’t need to freeze it. If you never had cucumber soup, I’m looking at your cold soup recipie, is there something I could use to substitute for sour cream, keeping the same taste? Slice or quarter the eggs into the blender container. Thank you for sharing Ana! And I mean every single day and I’m not kidding! Transfer the soup to a blender. Thanks in advance! She's letting me post her recipe (which sounds really yummy). That must be so hard with a dairy allergy I’m just rattling my brain trying to think of something and I decided to google sour cream substitutes. Ingredients Potato Cucumber Soup… 3. Autos. I make mine the same but with 1 ltr of kefir instead of sour cream, and I mix / mash the cooked yolk with 1.5 tblspn Russian mustard. Here you'll find delicious, trusted recipes with easy step-by-step photos and videos. It’s comments like yours that encourage me to post more of the Russian/Ukrainian foods. Thanks Alena!! I will have to give it a try. Hopefully, she'll post some of her own soon! Since vinegar is so much more potent in flavor than kvass, you will want to replace some of the water with kvass for it to be flavorful enough. My mother would use 1 quart of buttermilk, cut with 1 cup of cold water. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK ON THESE AWESOME RECIPES ☺️☺️, I have a question – What’s going to happen if I add buttermilk instead of water mixed with sour cream? A creamy, tangy beet and buttermilk soup is refreshing on a summer evening. I dont like it but its my hubbys favorite, especially on a hot day at work.=). It's fun to slice off the ends and hollow them out as little cups for cold Cucumber soup. i never made it before but my hubby really wants it so yours would be the one i would trust making it the first time! Let Me know about your experience with making okroshka and if this information has helped you. It’s basically summer in a bowl! . I haven’t heard of it. Garnishes: For garnish, reserve some of the cucumber, onion and pepper. Electric blender (8 cup) or food processor. I needed to add a little bit of lemon juice to get it as sour as I like it. Did you try to do it with buttermilk and didn’t like it? Question…does this freeze well? I am Natasha, the blogger behind Natasha's Kitchen (since 2009). . when cucumbers are in season Add 1 Tbsp vinegar and bring to a boil then continue boiling for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked, but not falling apart. (pronounced: "Okroshka") It's simple to make, has a nice dill flavor and is a great way to use a few potatoes and a garden cucumber. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233415/simple-cucumber-soup https://leitesculinaria.com/235613/recipes-cold-cucumber-soup-yogurt-dill.html We’ve always gobbled it up so quickly that we didn’t need to freeze it. Pour the mixture in the pot with the rest of ingredients. In a blender or food processor, add cucumbers, yogurt, shallot, garlic, fresh dill, lime juice and ground cumin. Food & Cooking. What would be a good substitute? Thanks for posting these recipes as it gives me a chance to sample simple dishes from my heritage that may have gotten lost in the shuffle of modern day North American life! Your Welcome. Hi Deborah, I have always preferred the greater depth of flavor from using vinegar, but alot of people do put kvass in their cold soup instead. ... Asparagus soup with tartines. If so is there a significant difference in light of the small amount of vinegar? However, we always made it with kvas as the liquid (plus a spoonful of sour cream). The recipe is great, however, in the event you guys don’t end up liking the dish itself – strain the soup, add some light mayo and sweet corn and BAM! I can eat three bowls of this on a hungry stomach. Besides the ones you mentioned they would also add radish and They would first kind of crush the green onions and dill together In the bowl until it lets out a juice, then all the ingredients were added and instead of using water and vinegar they would only use the sour cream and a very thin buttermilk for the soup base. Temper the cream: pour the cream into a cup, add a couple tablespoons of soup… True to form, it just starting down pouring here in Kyiv and is cool! I’ve heard of okroshka with kvass, but never tried it before. Thank you so much for sharing your version! While potatoes are cooking, boil 3 eggs and cool them in ice water. Thank you in advance. Next, dice 3 eggs, 3-4 cucumbers, 1/2 lb of ham. https://natashaskitchen.com/okroshka-recipe-russian-summer-soup bunch radishes, cut in half and thinly sliced … Yes, you can absolutely make it without the ham and just add more of the other ingredients. P.S. In times of old okroshka was poured with cucumber or cabbage pickle. Thanks Ana! Thanks for stopping by! I’ll definitely have to try it next time. For quicker cooling, you can rinse potatoes with cold water. Season with salt and pepper. Cucumber Soup, Jack, the son of Jack, of the family Slevkoff. Definitely best cold Summer food! My mom cooks all these amazing Russian dishes but she never measures so it’s so nice to see it and know how its done. Lou Wong Kua Tong (Mature Cucumber Soup) – an easy to prepare nutritious soup. Ingredients: 1 Large Armenian Cucumber (or Japanese is great too) 1/4 cup Chopped Red Onion (or less depending on your tastes) 2 Stalks Green Onion. Also on the colder days my mom would leave out the potatoes and boil them fresh, and everyone would add the hot potatoes to the okroshka for a “warmer fill”. Hi Liam, one of my readers reported great results using Kefir: “I make mine the same but with 1 ltr of kefir instead of sour cream, and I mix / mash the cooked yolk with 1.5 tblspn Russian mustard.”. Potatoes, fresh cucumber, doctor’s sausage, radish, egg, green onions, dill, kefir, sour cream, and salt. Thank you so much for sharing your version! 2 TBSP Sour Cream. Whenever I make either version, it doesn’t last long in the fridge! But I would love to hear the results if you decide to try it. Also, i add radishes. I use lemon juice instead of vinegar and slightly more sour cream. Keeps for several meals. Radish sounds like a great add-in. It’s relatively guilt free; no butter or oils required. Rinse off and pat dry. Enjoy your home made German potato soup! Then mix it all with mayo. Entertainment & Media. i love the idea of radishes too! Fish Tacos Recipe with Best Fish Taco Sauce! I’ll try that. I don’t think I liked it much the first couple times I tried it. Instead of cutting up the potatoes we just boil them and do a rough mash and add them. Add the cucumber’s brine (juice), add it gradually and taste the soup making sure it’s not too sour/not enough sour for you. We often joke about ours being a marriage made in culinary heaven: blini, borscht, pirogi and stuffed cabbage meets bruschetta, minestrone, ravioli and ossobuco. Thank you for the great feedback :). Anyways, I like your non-kvas soup version better, so that is what I’m starting with. If left on too long, the okroshka will be too watery and not chunky. Borsch also called Borscht is a Russian & Ukrainian traditional beet soup recipe. Hey there Jennifer! This classic soup called 'okroshka' originated in Russia, probably in the Ukraine area. Stir into the soup. Yes, here it is :): https://natashaskitchen.com/2014/04/04/creamy-clam-chowder-recipe/ Enjoy it! One thing I’ll mention, in case anyone wants to try, is that you can also make it with seltzer water (at least my mom has always made it that way, and I’ve loved it). I call this a summer soup because it's served cold. Soooo good! I was wondering what you serve with this soup? I can’t wait to try this! Place everything in a large pot. Puree until smooth, about 1 … YUM! Lou Wong Kua Tong (Mature Cucumber Soup) is very popular soup in Malaysia where it is hot and humid year round. Cut a half pound of cooked ham, five radishes and one English cucumber into ¼-inch dice. Hi Natasha, did u put away the recipe to that clam soup I forgot what’s it called. . Take the soup off the heat. It's refreshing on a hot day. https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-russian-soup-recipes-1135541 Very good recipe. Add salt and pepper. It should be just fine the next day. Please let me know what you think! I’m so happy you and your parents loved the recipe! Add the half and half until the blender container is almost full or to highest usable capacity without going over the top. https://leitesculinaria.com/235613/recipes-cold-cucumber-soup-yogurt-dill.html Peel potatoes and dice them into 1/4" cubes (we used the Vidalia Chopper). My husband Joe's heritage is Italian. Stay tuned though. Place diced potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water. First time to your site, and I literally backed into your blog! Great recipe base though . So refreshing and delicious. You can use different kinds of sausages or kielbasa for more flavor. Hope that helps . So perfect as a late-night meal, a mid-morning snack, a light dinner with fresh dark bread… Thank you for providing the recipe. It’s just one of those things you don’t get tired of I don’t think I would try to freeze it because it has cucumbers in it and I think freezing might make them weired and gooey. I’ve read that it’s served that way traditionally. I once ended up with a reflection of myself in a single cranberry which was garnish for a cranberry loaf. we used to put buttermilk instead of water an sour cream . Hi Tim – from your meringue comment, it seems you are quite the cook! Thank you for sharing your memory with us! That’s a great tip Alex, thanks for sharing :). Meanwhile, heat 1/2 Tablespoon of butter in a skillet. Every time before making dinner, I have a habit of asking my significant other what he wants to eat and this salad is always part of his request, with extra onions and mayo. Love your blog! Original recipes for schi (there are more that one: sour schi, grey schi, green schi) usually include some kind meat, some kind cabbage, carrots, potatoes and spices.Sour schi are prepared with sauerkraut or mix of sauerkraut and fresh cabbage. Sounds good! Thank you for this receipt, I very much like this summer soup. Can you share your version and maybe the brand of kvas you like? I checked out your site and I’m definitely looking forward to more of your FOOD posts To answer your question – I haven’t tried freezing it. Growing up we would have a large pot in the fridge that lasted a few days! Image of pickle, russian, meat - 37270817 ha ha :). please let me know i appreciate it. (This cooking method is thanks to one of my readers - Nadia). I’ve been wanting to make okroshka for a while and had no idea of the proportions. My husband and I run this blog together and share only our best, family approved and tested recipes with YOU. It comes out fabulous every single time. About 90% water, Cucumbers are rich in Vitamin C, beta-carotene and manganese, and yield antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. https://www.archanaskitchen.com/russian-radish-cucumber-salad-recipe It is clear, soothing, and a perfect accompaniment to your rice meal. I use a different recipie to make okroshka which is really good too. If cucumber soup and guacamole had a baby, it would be Pickles & Honey’s cucumber avocado soup. You are welcome Julia, sometimes the best pictures are taken by accident :). Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Can go for a bowl of it right now . Maybe hubby will even like it as a drink? These were fresh beets. https://www.elizabethminchilli.com/2015/06/okroshka-cold-russian-soup I haven’t made it with buttermilk before, not sure how it will react to the vinegar. Stir to combine and serve. Never ever I did not eat Okroshka with kefir or water. Thanks for giving this recipe a try, I am so glad you liked it. Kefir and sour cream can be replaced with kvass. Took me 20 minutes, and it was delicious. Pour the mixture in the pot with the rest of ingredients. I lived in Russia 50 years. Green onion old Russian style https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass. How to Make Russian Cold Holodnik Soup: 1. Shred the pickles on a box grater and add to the soup. So I was happy to find your recipe with ingredients that “American” friendly. Do you have a specific recipe that you use? We usually add red radishes too and it gives it a nice pop of color:). The cucumbers are pretty straightforward. Traditionally the base of it was kvass. Easy to make and the taste can be addicting. Rinse off and pat dry. —Robert Breno Strongsville, Ohio This soup is so yummy and healthy, you can buy the ingredients anywhere, which makes is really easy. Now I can scarf it down like it’s nobodies business! Education & Science. For those of you who will decide to try this, make sure you get the highest quality canned fish, with no skin, and remove all the big bones. Can I make this soup without the ham? Learn more... Natasha's top tips to unleash your inner chef! Have you ever heard of this version? Now if only I could get my Scottish husband to eat it. My mom (and I now) make our okroshka with buttermilk, mineral water, a bit of mayo and vinegar (salt and pepper). Makes all the difference. Okroshka Russian summer soup Meanwhile, start dicing the other ingredients. Get weekly updates on new recipes, exclusive giveaways plus behind the scenes photos. ; Add water to milk kefir until desired consistency is reached. Check out cold soup recipe from Russia - okroshka. However, the English cucumber … I know, not much left cucumber will be. Is it better made in advance for flavors to get picked up in broth, or better not? Is vinegar a replacement for kvass? (mayo is my best friend I pretty much add it to everything), Oh that sounds good! Natasha’s favorite tips to unleash your inner chef! Easy, cheap and healthy; that's my kinda meal. Thank you Ana! love okroshka so much on summer days. love you blog! So lovely to know that Paul! Add avocado and parsley; blend on low speed until smooth. Thank you so much for sharing. Great recipe. This is my favorite Summer soup, ever!!! Real okroshka is cooked from kvas. Okroshka without radishes? Thanks again for the great recipe! As someone that has a lot of extra time on my hands, I do a lot of cooking and your food blog is by far one of the first stops I make. Take the soup off the heat. Might not be the healthiest with the mayo… but soooo good!!! Pour the okroshka out of the blender into a container for storage. That does sound like a really tasty version. thank youuuuuuuuuuuu I love radishes , My newest obsession for sure! I haven’t made it with buttermilk before, not sure how it will react to the vinegar. Instead of vinegar, use pickle juice. Also chop 3 Tbsp of dill and 1/2 cup of green onions. ... a few lumps to remain. Thanks Nina, I will have to try it with your modifications. Thank you for the recipe! Welcome to the site Miguel, thank you for your feedback :). So, do you add 1 or 2 tablespoons kvass or sour cream, or both? Hi! Welcome to my kitchen! I cooled the potato water (and skimmed off the potato scum) to use for the broth- adding water to get 8 cups. My readers have shared that they use kvass instead of water without vinegar, or some of them said they use lemon juice instead of vinegar. We ate Okroshka in Moscow made with kvass and I had searched for the flavor profile. Thank you for the wonderful review with us! Thanks for taking the time to make Ukrainian recipes available and easy to make! Thanks so much! The banana bread recipe on your site is indeed perfect! I agree with you the doktorskyu would work well. Natasha, Stir to combine and serve. Thanks for the tip Nadia. Add the cucumber’s brine (juice), add it gradually and taste the soup making sure it’s not too sour/not enough sour for you. Half gallon container that will hold 8 cups or 64 fluid ounces. Yes I slice them so they are even little cubes. https://natashaskitchen.com/2014/04/04/creamy-clam-chowder-recipe/. Personally I like it the best with lemon juice. Russian Cucumber Soup No reviews 15 min. You will hear a different sound after the ingedients are all chopped up and become fluid. Delicious and easy to prepare. Hi Tanya! You should try kvass It’s delicious I live in new York and can get it in Russian food store But also they should have it in Whole Foods Just mix all ingredients and then add kvass Sour cream add to the plate One or two table spoons That is it ). This cucumber radish dill salad takes just 10 minutes to make! Thank you for sharing the recipe. Books, Literature & Writing. 1. I would want to make a big batch and just keep it in the freezer. I have a question about your dicer. Thanks for all the hard work producing this blog and your wonderful recipes! I just tried this Okroshka cold soup, and though delicious, I wondered what you might think of using 1/2 buttermilk with 1/2 sour cream instead of water and sour cream? sounds insane i know… sour cream and tomato fish. 8 cups cold water 1/3 cup sour cream 3 1/2 Tbsp Vinegar divided 2 1/2 tsp Salt 3 Tbsp chopped dill (fresh or frozen) 1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped 1/2 ham diced 3-4 medium cooked potatoes, peeled and diced 3 hard-boiled eggs, diced 3-4 cucumbers, diced. I havent tried this recipe for ages! Serve up this Russian cucumber radish salad with some juicy burgers, grilled lamb kofta, or baked salmon. Easy, cheap and healthy; that’s my kinda meal. Uniform slicing is not important. My friend Liza, who works for my parent company, just emailed me this recipe. My parents LOVED it! This is going into our family cookbook! Do you slice the vegetables before putting them on the chopper, or does it actually dice it right away? Drain well and set aside to cool. Do they work? For quicker cooling, you can rinse potatoes with cold water. I suppose you could pair it with crackers or bread. Of course I would love to put doktorskyu kolbasu, but it’s impossible to find . Having sampled the full-spectral glory of Russian pickles when I was in Moscow 2 years ago, I can personally attest to their superiority! I have a Ukranian friend that invite me to try this soup and I loved it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that done before but I’m so intrigued! This recipe for cold Lithuanian beet soup or šaltibarščiai is made with buttermilk, sour cream, hard-cooked eggs, cucumbers, and dill. After chillled for at least a half hour, the okroshka is ready to eat. Now I’m craving it! Ummm… I was served this at midnight after a days excursion to Kazan. But I’ve eaten it often in Russia and Ukraine in Summer in the stalovayas/cafeteria diners. Yes. Let them "sweat", about 20 minutes, to release moisture. Here is a link to my recipe (with pictures) http://cuceesprouts.com/2012/08/russian-gazpacho-okroshka/. Thanks for blessing me with your comment , i usually put half of sour cream and half of mayo in my okroshka. Buttermilk is great option as well :). It is always BoMB! Mmmmm …. We love making akroshka with the kvas recipe from your blog (after it’s been in the fridge for a few days so it’s not sweet), comes out great! I came to your recipe for the measurements She doesn’t measure anything. Hi Anka, we really just serve it plain. holodnik recipe is posted, click here for the link. If you already have lemon juice, just pour the proper amount into the blender container. https://www.archanaskitchen.com/russian-radish-cucumber-salad-recipe I also substitute cold water will natural mineral water, bubles enfuse the tase!! Hope that helps. We tried with kvass and I prefer this version :). Then you salt it to taste and add лимоная кислота.
2020 russian cucumber soup